Monday, March 19, 2007

good samaritan patrol

A few weeks ago I was asked if I was interested in doing the "Good Samaritan Patrol" for Wayside Christian Mission in Louisville. Some of the people who usually do this were ill or travelling and they had some openings for early in the week.

The Good Samaritan Patrol is where you drive around in the Wayside red Jeep, going to the camps and to the various places where people try to find refuge at night. The job is to take coffee, sandwiches, and whatever warm clothing we can find to the folks who may not want to stay in the shelter. We'll also give anyone a ride to the shelter if they decide to go in for the night.

The key to safety here is the red jeep. Everyone knows the red jeep. Most of the folks who do not stay in the shelters are too in love with their addictions than their need to be warm and safe. Some of the folks you may run into may not be at their best capacity. Calling at someone to see if they're alright might antagonize them. I'm always amazed that someone may be startled up on edge at first, but by the time the recognize the jeep, they come up to you as if you are a long lost friend.

I just finished another Samaritan run. The weather was warmer, but raining. Most of the usual camps I visit were vacant, and the usual places were people hang out were empty as well. The second street folks were there, but not as many. It's troubling because you know they're out there, but you just don't know where. You try to find as many overpasses as you can, looking to see if they are taking refuge right below the expressway.

I heard it all changes as the weather warms up. The camps that are deserted during the winter become populated when the weather breaks.

It's kind of peaceful while you're driving around. It makes you appreciate everything you do have. It also makes you look at things in a totally different way. I can't drive over an expressway without knowing that I just went over someone's home. I know the symbols and paths that lead to camps that thousands of people drive by everyday not having any idea there are people living there.

There's an odd irony to how many restaurants are literally right across the streets from camps. The irony of how much food is thrown away, and there's a guy across the street who hasn't eaten all day.

4 comments:

New blood for New Albany said...

Hi Peter, I have to say it's refreshing to see someone like you running for office in New Albany. I see a huge need for the homeless in New Albany and Louisville, I for one would love to help, anytime you need someone feel free to ask.
I also agree something needs to be done about the slumlord issue. It's a tough issue, the only problem I have is, I realize alot of people don't complain in fear of eviction, but then there are those who don't want someone coming into there home and invading there privacy. I am no expert, but it seems that if we require inspection at the time of purchase to make sure rentals are up to code, this would go along way in helping solve the problem.
Good luck and God bless you on your run for city council! I'm Chad Dowell at Lopp Real Estate, if you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask.

pete said...

Chad,

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I really appreciate it.

I agree completely about a rental inspection problem. I would support one a 100%. My concern is I don't want it to become an election soundbite or a bandaid. I think the real problem is either favortism or a lack of effort or both. If there's no exisiting enforcement, then no one will take the inspection program seriously.

You're more than welcome to join us for our homeless outings. This weekend is when my family (and now with some folks from Graceland Baptist) do our homeless run. It begins at 8am at graceland where we prepare the food and whatever clothes we may be distributing. We usually leave by 9:30 or 10am, and we're back by noon. We usually feed around a 150 people, and we can always use more help. Send me an email if you are interested. If you can't make it this weekend, we do it on every 4th saturday of the month.

The Monday night Samaritan runs take most people out of their comfort zone. Let me know if you'd like to ride along on a Monday night.

Thanks again!
pete

New blood for New Albany said...

Hi Pete, I agree with the soundbite comment. Monday night's would be good for me, I'll e-mail you and set something up. I wanted to tell you also, you may want to contact Ed McCrary at Lighthouse Ministries on Kamer Miller next to Graceland. They are my wife's grandparents, I think they might be able to help with any food you need for your homeless runs. Their calling is to feed people in need. I also wanted to comment on your most recent post, I also see a need for a homeless shelter in New Albany, and I agree with the location problem. After reading some of the posts on NA Confidential about the slumlord issue, I can see where there would be alot of resistance from some of the local community.
By the way, you're running in my voting district, You have my support. God bless.
Scharlow for Mayor!!!!!!!!!

pete said...

Chad,
Thanks for your support. I look forward to your email and joining me on the good Samaritan patrol!