Sunday, February 25, 2007

What a weekend

Sometimes the end of busy weekend is something to look forward to.

Saturday morning started out great. For the past two years, my wife and children and I have been feeding the homeless. What started out as a one time thing has turned into to a once a month event. We recently teamed up with Graceland Baptist Church
of new albany. Having the additional resources of the church has allowed this ministry to grow even more. The additional people allow us to distribute clothes, hats, gloves and other items. Graceland has one of those backpack drink dispensers, and hot chocolate with fresh marshmallows is a huge hit! We were able to feed 150 people homemade soup and sandwiches. It's a great opportunity to spend some time encouraging those that are going through difficult times.

After that, I rented a moving truck to pick up some equipment I bought off ebay that was in Chicago. A friend of mine mentioned some bad weather heading toward chicago, but heck the sun was shining and the weather was warming up so how bad could it be? I found out a few miles north of Indy. What started out as rain very quickly turned to sleet. In no time at all the roads were solid ice. The fastest I could travel was 15mph. The 5.5 hour trip to Chicago ended up taking almost 11 hours, and to pass the time my son and I counted how many cars were wrecked. The total was 30 cars and one trailer.

The trip gave me another reason to love where i live. New Albany is affordable. I felt bad for the guy I bought the equipment from. He was closing his business and selling off all the equipment. His lease kept going up to the point where it just didn't make sense to stay open. When he told me his property taxes were $6,500 on a home smaller than mine, I invited him to move down here!!!

This really is a great town to live in. It's been so long since I've lived out of state, I had forgotten what a bargain New Albany really is.

The one thing I have not forgotten is the efficiency of other local governments in the towns I've lived in.

As for as "platform" issues, they will come. This medium is a great way to get to know the person behind the vote.

I'll start posting them after I have an opportunity to really meet some folks and hear their hearts on issues. To speak without hearing would be foolish.

No comments: